Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Maiden Voyage of the 5.2 Madone

Today's record high temperatures persuaded me to take the new Madone on its maiden voyage. It was my first ride in nearly two months and signs were apparent that any endurance and strength that I had gained from riding this summer was gone. I would consider the ride a moderate intensity ride with a few rolling hills and one or two "steep" climbs. The first 20 miles were fine, but around mile 35 I completely bonked, and the remaining 5 grueling miles were taken much slower then the average pace.

The bike rode smooth and climbed extremely well. Being my first extended ride on carbon I was impressed with how compliant the carbon was and how bumps large and small were absorbed well.

Overall I'm very happy with the bike, now I need to improve on my fitness level before the season starts to gear up.

No comments: