Thursday, January 29, 2009

I'll now be posting information about my training for the Journey of Hope on this blog.

Good Morning!

The first of the year has come and gone, and now as February approaches, fundraising and training are now in full swing. I’ve been preparing for a half marathon that is scheduled for the weekend of March 21st-22nd. I’m very excited for the run, I’ve been spending many hours on the treadmill, too afraid to brave the cold of Blacksburg winter. I must admit watching sports center twice in a row on my long run days isn’t exactly my ideal run, but its much better then running around in circles at the McComas indoor track.
I sent out a second batch of letters to potential sponsor hoping to reach my minimum of $5000.00 to ride early, so that I can strive to reach my goal, and help others reach the minimum as well.
I’ve been tossing around some idea’s of possible fundraising opportunities including temporary tattoo’s of soroities on campus who would pay for me to wear their letter certain days and take photos with the tattoo. I’ve also begun speaking with local businesses about fundraising opportunites; Moe’s, Jimmy Jons, and TCBY will all donate 10% of there proceeds in a certain night to my journey, the difficulty is scheduling the event to be successful avoiding the spring game, and other popular spring events.

Sunday was the first extended duration on the bike since this past summer, although the ride was only 22 miles, and relatively flat with some rolling hills, the subfreezing temperature for the entire ride made it less then enjoyable; however it was great to see everyone out and on bike together, really making the Journey seem real and close!

Stay tuned for more training and fundraising details as I’ll be trying to stay more up to date with my blog and website, doing a few exclusives on the gear I’ll be using and my training regimen.

No comments: